Halloween is fast approaching and with it brings an abundance of one of Ginger Parrot’s favourite orange and seasonal vegetables…the Pumpkin!
Of course, the little ones are only interested in carving its insides and carving a scary face but there is so much more to the Pumpkin and its delicious orangeness for cooking both sweet and savoury dishes and drinks.
Should you be in London check out The Grain Store Restaurant and its cocktail menu, which boasts a Pumpkin and Maple Syrup Bellini, while The Hummingbird Bakery has launched their Halloween menu of themed delights which includes pumpkin cupcakes, with a hint of ginger…yum!
And to get in the mood for October, we’ll be bringing you our list of Top 10 Halloween Recipes. Here’s the first one…
1 small pumpkin (duuuuh)
340g pasta such as conchiglie (large shells)
2 sprigs rosemary
1 clove garlic
140ml double cream
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp chopped flatleaf parsley
150ml white wine
The juice of half a lemon
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Grated parmesan to serve
How to do it:
1. Preheat oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
2. Peel and de-seed the pumpkin, getting all the fleshy goodness out. Dice and place onto an ovenproof sheet.
3. Chop the rosemary and sprinkle over the pumpkin. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
4. Place in the oven and cook for 45 minutes.
5. Cook pasta in salted boiling water.
6. While the pasta is cooking, chop garlic and shallot, then gently pan-fry in the butter for about 1 minute.
7. Add the mustard and wine, bring to the boil. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
8. Add the lemon juice, seasoning, cream and parsley.
9. Drain the pasta and remove pumpkin from the oven. Add to the pasta in a bowl.
10. Pour over the creamy sauce and mix together. Serve in a bowl with parmesan cheese on top.
Give it a go and let us know what you think! The combination of the pumpkin and rosemary works really well to make a truly scrumptious meal.